Keep on Track: International Honors
Admission to the International Honors Program
- On This Page:
- Admission to the LIHC
- Entrance Requirements
- Graduation with Honors
- Maintaining Honors Eligibility
Lloyd International Honors College invites students to apply for admission once they have already been accepted for admission to UNCG. You are eligible to join the International Honors Program if you have a weighted high school GPA of at least 3.80, a combined SAT score (critical reading + mathematics) of at least 1200, or an ACT composite score of at least 27. Current UNCG students may apply for admission to the International Honors Program if you have a cumulative UNCG GPA of 3.30 or higher. You must apply to this program before the end of the spring semester of your freshman year. Students newly admitted to International Honors for the fall semester will be assessed a $10 Honors Orientation fee.
The goal of the International Honors Program is to foster students to become independent thinkers who are active in the design and pursuit of their education, globally aware and engaged, and prepared to lead successful and fulfilling professional, civic, and personal lives. Honors courses in the International Honors Program are typically small and interdisciplinary. They replace regular UNCG general-education courses that fulfill University requirements. International and global perspectives in the International Honors Program are integrated into most regular Honors courses.
Graduation with Honors
Graduation with International Honors
Students who have completed all requirements for International Honors by graduation shall be recognized at the annual Spring Honors banquet and will have the International Honors designation added to their office transcripts. Graduating Honors students will be assessed a $30 graduation fee.
To graduate with International Honors, you must possess a UNCG GPA of 3.30 or higher at graduation, and meet the following requirements:
- Have taken 13 semester hours of Honors course work with grades of B (3.0) or higher as follows:
- HSS 198: Honors Proseminar I (1 s.h.). To be taken in the student's first full academic year after being admitted to Lloyd International Honors College.
- A 100-Level Honors Seminar (3 s. h.) To be taken in the student's first fall semester after being admitted to Lloyd International Honors College.
- 9 additional semester hours of Honors course work.
- Mastery of a language other than the student's native language at a level associated with 204-level language courses taught at UNCG. Ancient languages and American Sign Language are currently permitted. This requirement may be fulfilled by any combination of course work, placement tests, and appropriate evidence of mastery through other documentation. Course work completed abroad is permitted.
- An approved international experience. Students reflect on and share their experience with other UNCG students in the semester following the completion of their international experience. To document this process, students must register for the zero credit course HSS 299: Honors International Experience (graded on a pass/no pass basis) in the semester in which they engage in the above work.
- For students who were admitted before
Fall 2006, different requirements are in
force. For students who were admitted to
LIHC before Fall 2006, the requirements
for the International Honors Program
- - UNCG GPA of 3.30 or higher at graduation, and
- - 12 semester hours of Honors course work with
grades of B (3.0) or higher.
Students who study abroad for at least a
semester may have 3 of the required 12
semester hours of course work waived.
Courses used to satisfy requirements in the Disciplinary Honors Program cannot be used to satisfy requirements in the International Honors Program.
Graduation with Full University Honors
Students who complete both the Disciplinary Honors Program and the International Honors Program are awarded Full University Honors for their sustained Honors work throughout their time as undergraduate students.
Maintaining Honors Eligibility
As long as you maintain a 3.30 cumulative UNCG GPA, you will be an active member of the Honors College. Each semester, you may take as many or as few Honors courses as you wish. If your cumulative UNCG GPA falls below 3.30, you may be placed on suspension and may not be able to sign up for Honors courses until your GPA once again is at 3.30 or higher.