The Honors Halls offer Honors students pursuing all majors an invigorating environment where they build friendships, learn from each other, and grow and develop along intercultural, intellectual, and leadership dimensions. Living in Honors Housing is strongly recommended, but is not a requirement, for students in the Lloyd International Honors College.
The Honors Residence Hall at North Spencer is an extraordinary renovated space for Honors students who wish to live on campus. Nearly 200 Honors students are housed here in large rooms that each have a sink and are air-conditioned. The Hall has a classroom equipped with global teleconferencing technology, a large parlor for visiting with other students that also hosts Honors events and activities, a computer lab (with free printing), and offices for Honors College staff, including an on-site Honors advisor. North Spencer is centrally located on campus, next to the Jackson Library and the dining hall.
Gray Hall became the second Honors residence hall in Fall 2013 and joined North Spencer Hall as dedicated living space for Lloyd International Honors College students with sophomore-through-senior standing. Honors students living in Gray Hall have a full-time, on-site adviser to counsel them on their academic plans. Additionally, residents may apply to be Gray Hall Fellows. Fellows create and implement peer-led programming for Gray Hall. This newly renovated residence hall offers suite-style living with a maximum of four persons sharing a bathroom and also offers a number of single rooms.
The Honors Collaborative at South Spencer Hall joins North Spencer and Gray Hall in Fall 2015 as the third living space for Lloyd International Honors College students. The Honors Collaborative is designed to bring together Honors students and non-Honors students seeking an atmosphere conducive both to study and camaraderie. Honors students wishing to live with non-Honors roommates are encouraged to select the Honors Collaborative. The Hall has a parlor on the first floor, a large game room with television on the lower level, and offices for Honors College staff. South Spencer is centrally located on campus, next to the Jackson Library and the dining hall, and is attached to North Spencer.
Honors students with sophomore-through-senior standing are encouraged to live in North Spencer, Gray Hall, or South Spencer depending on their needs and interests. First year Honors students are encouraged to live in North Spencer or South Spencer depending on their needs and interests.
When Honors Housing is full, students living in other residence halls on campus may place themselves on the Honors Housing Wait List for any openings in Honors Housing that may arise throughout the academic year.
Applying for Honors Housing
For current Honors students interested in living in the Honors Residence Halls (North Spencer/Gray/South Spencer) during the 2015-16 academic year, please note the following:
- You will need to fill out a UNCG housing application, including making the $200 prepayment. The application for current students will be open online mid-January to early February.
- You will also need to fill out a short online interest form specifically for the Honors College. You can find that here. Complete this form as soon as possible to receive priority for space in Honors Housing.
- We will make assignments based on a number of factors. Students who currently live in Honors Housing, who sign up early on the Honors interest form, and those who are returning from study abroad will be given priority. (Students currently in an Honors Hall will need to have taken at least one Honors course in the 2014-15 academic year and remain in good standing.)
For incoming Honors students who have been admitted for Fall and who are interested in living in the Honors Residence Hall (North Spencer) or The Honors Collaborative at South Spencer Hall:
- You will need to fill out a UNCG housing application, including making the $200 prepayment. The application for new students will be open online from mid-February to early May.
- When you fill out the UNCG housing application, be sure to select both North Spencer and South Spencer as your first and second Special Interest Housing residence choices. Selecting North Spencer as your first choice and South Spencer as your second choice will help ensure that you are placed in Honors Housing.
- We will make assignments based on availability, and students who apply for housing and pay their $200 prepay earlier rather than later will be given priority.
- If you'd like to live in South Spencer with a non-Honors roommate, you both must select South Spencer as your first Special Interest Housing residence choice, you both should select each other as roommates in your UNCG Housing application, and finally please also email email@example.com with your roommate request.
For more information about housing at UNCG, see the Housing and Residence Life web site.