Future Students

Transfer students are strongly encouraged to consider joining the Honors College as part of joining the UNCG community! We have two excellent programs that will fit your interests and your plans for your time at UNCG.

If you are transferring to UNCG after no more than two semesters at another institution (this includes transferring after the fall semester of your freshman year), you are eligible to apply to the International Honors Program! Featuring small, liberal-arts based courses and focusing on building an intercultural worldview, this program is ideal for the curious and adventurous student looking to grow in an outstanding developmental environment. Honors students also have access to special benefits: priority registration, eligibility for Honors housing, access to Honors advising, eligibility for Honors scholarships, and a wealth of programming and events designed for Honors students.

To be eligible for the program, applicants must have:

  • a minimum 1270 Math + Evidence-Based Reading and Writing SAT score, OR
  • a 26 ACT score, OR
  • a 3.8 (weighted) high school GPA.
If eligible, you will be invited to apply to the International Honors Program through your Spartanlink account. You will complete the application while completing the application to UNCG. The Honors College will also review the transcript from your current institution as part of the application process. Whether you plan to transfer to UNCG in the spring of your first year or the fall of your second year, you will begin the International Honors Program in the fall of your second year. Visit the International Honors Program Admissions page for further information about applying to join the International Honors Program in the Fall semester.

If you are transferring after two semesters at another college or university, we strongly encourage you to apply to the Disciplinary Honors Program once you have been at UNCG for a semester and have earned a UNCG GPA of at least 3.3. Why? The Honors courses you are required to take as an International Honors student (the program to which most incoming first-year students apply) are designed to replace general education courses (GEC) courses, thereby counting as both Honors credits and general education credits. As students who already have taken many General Education courses at other institutions, many transfer students are not required to take as many general education courses at UNCG, and so these Honors courses will likely count only for Honors credit and will constitute an additional 13 credit hours of work outside your major.

However, if you choose to pursue Disciplinary Honors, you will take Honors courses in your major. Disciplinary Honors allows students to complete Honors coursework in their majors, culminating with a Senior Honors Thesis directed by a faculty mentor. Your courses in Disciplinary Honors will also meet your major requirements.

If you are also considering applying for UNCG in 3, then Disciplinary Honors is also the best option for you. Visit the Disciplinary Honors Admissions page to apply!

If you are a transfer student from the honors program at Robeson Community College, Southwestern Community College, Durham Technical Community College, or Haywood County Community College, please contact Dr. Rebecca Muich at rmmuich@uncg.edu or at (336) 334-4493 to discuss how to apply for the Certification of Honors Graduate.

If you have general questions about applying to the Honors College at UNCG as a transfer student, please contact us at askhonors@uncg.edu to be directed to the appropriate Honors Academic Advisor!