Global Honors Requirements
The Global Honors Program is a highly customizable, high-impact experience, liberal-arts based honors program. Students in Global Honors choose the Honors courses that best suit their interests and needs from seminars, Honors sections, and contracts that can meet Minerva’s Academic Curriculum (MAC) requirements. These courses focus on honing critical reading, thinking, and expression skills while fostering developmental learning environments. Global Honors students also achieve beginning competency in a second language. Finally, Global Honors students devise a plan to take advantage of the several high-impact developmental opportunities available at UNCG, including study abroad at one of UNCG’s 100+ exchange partner institutions. You can learn more about the many opportunities available on the Global Honors Experiences page.
Global Honors is ideal for incoming, first-year students at UNCG, transfer students with one year or less at another institution, or current UNCG students entering their second year. Learn more about Global Honors eligibility requirements, application, and deadlines on our Global Honors Admissions page.
To complete Global Honors, you must possess a UNCG GPA of 3.30 or higher at graduation, and meet the following requirements:
- Have taken seven (7) semester hours of Honors coursework with grades of B (3.0) or higher as follows:
- HSS 198: Honors Colloquium (1 s.h.). To be taken in the student’s first academic semester after being admitted to Lloyd International Honors College.
- Two (2) courses (3 s.h. each) from the following options: Honors seminar, Honors embedded section, Honors section, Honors contract
- Proficiency in a language other than the student’s native language at a level associated with 102-level language courses taught at UNCG. Ancient languages and American Sign Language are currently permitted. This requirement may be fulfilled by any combination of coursework, placement tests, and appropriate evidence of mastery through other documentation. Students can also demonstrate proficiency in a language other than those offered at UNCG. Course work completed abroad is permitted.
Global Honors students may only earn 25 Global Honors Experience points per class for taking additional language courses in residence at UNCG
- If a Global Honors student has already fulfilled the language proficiency requirement through any of the methods outlined above, students may earn 25 Global Honors Experience points per class by taking 101 and/or 102 levels of a different language in residence at UNCG
- If a Global Honors student has already fulfilled the language proficiency requirement through any of the methods outlined above, students may earn 25 Global Honors Experience points per class by taking 203 and/or 204 levels of the same language in residence at UNCG
If a Global Honors student would like to take a language course at the 300 level or above in residence at UNCG for 25 Global Honors experience points, they must create a Global Honors contract with their instructor
- 100 points of approved Global Honors Experiences
- Courses used to satisfy requirements in the Disciplinary Honors Program cannot be used to satisfy requirements in the Global Honors Program.
- HSS 490 and XXX 493 or its equivalent cannot be used to satisfy both Disciplinary Honors and Global Honors requirements
- Semester long research projects that do not satisfy Disciplinary Honors requirements may be used to satisfy Global Honors Experiences requirements. Ex. Undergraduate Research Assistantship
- Students will be required to have their participation in Undergraduate Research confirmed by URSCO and/or the faculty person they worked with when they submit their Global Honors Experiences Form which is available via the Global Honors Canvas Organization
Graduation with Global Honors
Students who have completed all requirements for Global Honors by graduation will be recognized at the annual Spring Honors Graduation Ceremony or Fall Cording Ceremony and will have the International Honors designation added to their official transcripts. Graduating Honors students will be assessed a $30 graduation fee.
Graduation with Full University Honors
Students who complete both the Disciplinary Honors Program and the Global Honors Program are awarded Full University Honors for their sustained Honors work throughout their time as undergraduate students.